Sunday, March 16, 2014

Nerdy Thrift Store Finds





Okay, so I'm not gonna lie. I totally have LGR (LazyGameReviewer) to thank for all this because had I not seen his video LGRThrifts, I would have never been inspired to stop by my local SPCA thrift store to see what kind of nerdy goodies and video games I was able to find. But I am really glad I did, so because of that I would just like to say, thanks, LGR, and please don't stop posting your awesome vids any time soon. 
By now, I bet you're wondering what it is I actually found at the thrift store, aren't you?
No, not really?
Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway. 

One of the coolest things I found at the store was a copy of The Sims Deluxe Edition priced down to $3.00 because it's an old game. In case you guys haven't noticed, in some of my previous posts I sort of made it obvious that I have a weird sort of love affair with The Sims franchise and the truth is, I kind of don't. Don't get me wrong, The Sims is a great game. But after a long bout of video game addiction involving The Sims 3, I just got tired of giving EA Games my money. Seriously, I was one of those suckers who gave them $10, so I could have a cow plant in my game. Then when I downloaded it, I was too afraid of it eating my Sims to actually play with it.
Yeah, it was bad.
However, that doesn't change the fact that the games hold a special place in my heart and since I already have a growing collection of The Sims games, I'm usually pretty quick to pick this stuff up when I see it. Especially when it only costs $3.
Plus, one of the really cool things about The Sims Deluxe Edition -- that I'm sure any hardcore Simmer could tell you -- is that it actually comes with a free copy of The Sims Livin' Large Expansion Pack, The Sims Creator, and also exclusive "deluxe" content. So essentially when I bought this, I was really getting two games and a much needed upgrade for the original Create-A-Sim. Who can say no to that? 

The next thing I managed to find was a copy of The Sims Makin' Magic Expansion Pack, priced down to $4. Yes, I know, I know. More Sims stuff?
Well, I almost got a copy of the Toy Story 2 PC game, but the disc was all scratched up. Plus, The Sims 3 Supernatural is my favorite Expansion Pack and this actually came with a pretty cool surprise.
The surprise turned out to be a second disc that included a The Sims 2 Sneak Preview. Say what you will about this franchise, but it is widely known that The Sims 2 set the bar for high graphics standards in video games. If nothing else, the game is worth playing simply because of how beautiful it is. So this is something I thought was really cool.
Total, my copy of The Sims Deluxe Edition and The Sims Makin' Magic cost me $7. Was it the Playstation2 I was actually hoping to see up for sale?
No, but it's still freaking awesome, and I still have one last find to tell you guys about.

 
Alright, alright. 
This last find isn't nerdy and if I'm being honest with myself, it's probably not all that interesting unless you're huge fan of the author's work like I am. Like, for real, this chick is one of my writing idols.
And her name is Laurie Halse Anderson. She's probably best known for writing the controversial YA novel Speak, which has since found it's way onto The Banned Book List in several states and counties across the US. Because people in this country need to read less in order to get smarter. That'll help the stereotypes, alright -_-
Anyway, when I stopped by the thrift store it looked like a book store had just thrown up in there. There were two huge crates of books along with the regularly stocked shelves full of books, and my husband and I had a lot fun just looking through all of them. And as you can see, I was lucky enough to find two of Laurie Halse Anderson's best sellers. What made finding these even more enjoyable is that they're hardcovers and had I bought them at bookstore, they'd have cost me about $15 each. 
Now, I haven't actually read these books yet, so I don't actually know what they're about, but the first book is Fever 1793, which I do know is a historical fiction novel. The other one I managed to find is called Catalyst, and honestly, I've only ever heard it mentioned in passing. 
I'm more than likely going to do reviews on these books sometime in the near future, but I've got a lot of stuff going on. So until then, if you haven't picked up a book by Laurie Halse Anderson, I would highly recommend doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment